Monday, September 27, 2021

There was a quick family reunion on Pentoga Road Sunday afternoon.
Mississippi Brother Garry and Yooper Brother Mark

September 27, 2021 - Monday morning
50 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

It's a darn good thing I was here yesterday to keep those two yahoos in line. Mark and Sheri stopped out and the six of us had a short, but nice, visit.

I'm a lucky man to be able to call Garry and Mark my brothers. Growing up, I was envious of my friends who had actual blood brothers. There was Barb, my sister, whom I loved and still love, but she's a girl. Her ideas of what to play and mine seemed to be at opposite ends of the universe.

As Mom said more than once, "You'd never know we had the same parents."

God had other ideas in mind and let me wait until adulthood to give me not one brother, but two. Garry came into my life first, almost forty years ago. Mark happened along thirty years later. 

No, we don't wrestle, make hideouts, play pirates, or cops and robbers, but my love for both is deep and strong and for that, I'm grateful. Both know me well and I, in return, the same with each. 

Only one problem and it's a big one. Garry's a bit older than I am, Mark a few years younger. That leaves poor Tommy P as the middle child which explains everything. After being with both for a short while yesterday and being teased, picked on, if you will, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm suffering from the Middle Child Syndrome. According to healthline.com, it's defined as:

"Middle child syndrome is the belief that middle children are excluded, ignored, or even outright neglected because of their birth order. According to the lore, some children may have certain personality and relationship characteristics as a result of being the middle child."

So, that explains a lot. Hey, how about some sympathy for this middle child, eh? 

No? 

Never mind.

It's a fast write this morning as we'll be leaving Pentoga Road shortly after 7 AM for Rhinelander. It's eyeball shot day. I've tried to talk Garry into coming into the room and holding my hand, but so far, he's resisted.

Some brother he is.

Garry and I got busy yesterday morning installing the new back door.

Out with the old


For some reason or the other, the living room is level and square. Installing the door was a matter of setting it in place and making a few adjustments before permanently nailing the frame into place.



I'll post pictures of the finished installation, inside and out, in the next few days once the trim is installed. With its beveled glass and other features, we love it.


The storm door wasn't quite as easy. For whatever reason, the previous owner had removed part of the frame. Though the storm door is solid, a bit more work will have to be done to make it completely weather tight. 

Last night was a short one. Sargie and Miss Jody had gone to town to pick up fried chicken at the deli. The four of us must have been tired as it was quieter than usual sitting around the dining room table.

This morning will be filled with the trip to Rhinelander. The afternoon, who knows? Being somewhat laid up after receiving the injection, I may just plop in the shop recliner and listen to Garry turn something beautiful on the lathe.

Time to get ready.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

Trying to figure out how to assemble a combination/security door knob. Wading through the instructions was like Helen Keller leading Stevie Wonder through a mine field.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...