Monday, September 13, 2021

Bumble Bees harvesting the last of this summer's pollen from our miniature sunflowers

September 13, 2021 - Monday morning
42 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

With a checkout time of 10 AM at the lake house, we arrived home Sunday well before noon. It seemed odd that we were the ones who had the shortest drive of anyone, a mere hour, and nice to have much of the day ahead to call our own.

I had to chuckle while watching Shea and Macrea load their vehicles. Driving a pickup truck with a cover, Shea had it the easiest, but Macrea? Now he had a real puzzle to solve.


In the end, the boy fit two coolers, a ton of baby, boy, and big people stuff, Cheeks, Hambone, and themselves, plus a large goldendoodle, into one SUV. 

It was with lots of hugs and kisses that we bade everyone goodbye with promises that we'd do it all again next year.


Once home, I mixed a batch of insecticide and sprayed the exterior of the house for cluster flies. They look exactly like house flies, but gather on the siding every September and October and if there's a minute crack, especially around old windows, they'll find a way to get inside.

We used to hire an exterminator to spray the house, but I found a wholesale site online where I could order what was needed. The exterminator charged $250 to make our home fly free. My cost yesterday ran around $5, maybe less. 

Next came my usual walk with the rest of the day spent in the garden. We're just beginning to harvest tomatoes, not many, but enough to make a decent BLT.  The Collective Farm Woman melons (honey dews from the Ukraine) are also ripening. 

I also harvested a meal's worth of fresh asparagus and enough white carrots to fry and enjoy with this morning's scrambled eggs.

Now that they're no longer kneeling, at least on camera, I watched the first quarter of the Packers/New Orleans football game. I didn't watch any NFL games last year and it appears I'll probably miss the rest of this season.

I've not seen the Packers look this bad since the pre Brett Favre days. Inflated heads tend to produce poor teams. Let 'em have at it.

Last night was a yawner spent in front of the television.

I've not measured it lately, but I'm certain the pumpkin weighs in excess of 400 pounds and still gaining.

It's getting to be daylight, time to head out the door for my morning walk.

Sargie and I will make our way to Iron Mountain at some point this afternoon to pick up my new glasses. We've talked of going onto Green Bay, but that remains to be seen. With several new projects going on in the shop, I wouldn't mind spending some meaningful time out there.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...


With Sadie in Hambone's booster seat, strapping Grady overhead on the roof seemed to be a viable option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...