Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Note the map of the AT on the shirt. I'm trying to memorize it so I don't get lost when I'm on the trail next year.

September 14, 2021 - Tuesday morning
58 degrees/cloudy/calm winds
Pentoga Road

Go ahead and laugh, but how do you know I'm not the real Clark Kent? With these new, nearly indestructible, authentic, plastic glasses, I can duck into the garden house on a moment's notice, change into my super human tights and cape, and after, leap tall pumpkins in a single bound. 

OK, that's a lie, but I do like the thought that I finally have glasses that might withstand the rigors of my everyday life. These are my shop/trail/heavy labor glasses. Inexpensive and pretty much built to withstand the abuse of a four year old, Sargie says they're definitely age appropriate.

I also have an in-between pair, more dressy and not quite so four-year-oldish, to wear during normal times when I'm not leaping giant pumpkins or chopping down towering maples for firewood.

Finally, I have a new pair of "Sunday School glasses." Those are for when I'm supposed to look like a city boy, all proper, neat, and trim. It's doubtful if they'll ever be worn.

Speaking of leaping over giant pumpkins, there's another smaller one growing on the opposite side of the garden that I've never mentioned. Of the giant breed, it's my control pumpkin that receives no special care. I simply want to see how big it will grow under more normal conditions without the aid of gallons and gallons of Miracle Grow and other chemically laced water.


Holy cow, did it ever rain and storm during the night. We received 1.8 inches of water that began falling sometime after we went to bed. Carl said we could get heavy rain and he wasn't lying... this time.

While driving to Iron Mountain yesterday, we noticed several trees that are beginning to display their fall colors.

 One of these trees is different from the others. Can you pick out which it is? (I know, I hung out in the elementary classroom for too many years.)

With glasses procured and bowls of Culver's ice cream consumed, we made our way back to Pentoga Road.

It was such a nice day that I was hesitant to head to the shop. Time was spent just sitting on the park bench alongside the pond, watching the goldfish while feeling the warm sun and soft breeze on my face.

The pole beans, along with the grape vines, have climbed to the top of the garden trellis. I love walking through the green tunnel.

We also enjoy picking and munching on the occasional green bean when entering or exiting the garden. We can enjoy raw beans on one side, ripe grapes on the other, for a quick snack. 

The rest of the day was spent in the shop where I'm working on two bowls. Both have been sanded with several coats of finish applied.

The sanding process often takes longer than turning a bowl. I wonder why my hands dry out during the winter months, often cracking until they bleed?

With any luck at all, both bowls will be finished in the next day or two.


Barbi, whoops, I mean Sargie and I, will be heading to Green Bay later this morning to run an errand or two. 

(My nickname for Sargie is Barbi. When we're alone, that's her name. It's a shortened version of her super hero moniker, Barbi Blaze. When Barbi navigates the wilds of the UP in the Blazer, she's really piloting the nuclear powered Laser Blazer, Pentoga Road's equivalent to the Batmobile.)

Yeah, I know, Barbi, I mean Sargie Pants, and I don't live in the real world at times, but we laugh a lot. 

OK, time to get this show on the road. Now that the rain has passed, I want to hike a quick three miles before leaving for Green Bay. We'll leave the Laser  Blazer at home and take the super sonic Silver Bullet. In mere mortal terms, it's better known as the Hyundai. 

Yeah, with that it's time to end.

Wild asters growing alongside Pentoga Road

Oh, check out my oldest grandson, Coleman, in the video below. He's the one wearing green who's wrapped around the opposing team's quarterback.

A freshman, Coleman was promoted to his high school's JV team the day before yesterday. His first start was last night where he had at least four quarterback sacks and numerous "hurries." He also played guard for the entire game.

You'd better believe Coleman knows that a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...



No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...