Friday, August 25, 2017


It appears last night's frost did little damage. 
August 25, 2017 - Friday
30 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

Talk about frustrating. I lost all of yesterday's pictures when transferring them from the camera to the computer. 

Most people merely enjoy pictures. There are days I take over a hundred. Afterwards, I enlarge each on the computer and look at what I missed seeing earlier. 

There've been positive comments made about my photography skills. Believe me, I have few. It's a matter of numbers, pure, numbers. If one snaps enough photos, a few are bound to be keepers. What you aren't privy to are the hundreds that miss a subject entirely, are out of focus, or simply of bad quality. 



You also don't see those that I refer to as work pictures. I take snapshots of the lawn, beds in the garden, a work in the shop, or a piece of machinery I'm working on. I often take a dozen or more photos from every angle, run in the house, and unload them on the computer to see if I missed a weed, the condition of a plant, a section of lawn that I might have missed mowing, or a wire that's not connected.

So anyway, yesterday's pictures disappeared. Grrr. Well, you'll just have to take my word that I did more than lay around with my hair in curlers with cucumbers on my eyes and listened to Harlequin Romance novels on audio books while stuffing chocolate truffles into my mouth.

Arriving home from yesterday's walk, I hopped in the Blazer and picked up the mower from the mechanic's. He put on a new drive belt, did a bit of rewiring for me (even pictures don't always help!) sharpened the blades, replaced two plastic pulleys, and called it good enough. The man also complimented me on my use of duct tape when doing home repairs. 

The rest of the day was spent mowing. The lawns, meadows, and trails were all groomed and by late afternoon, all the trimming was completed. 



As much as I've muttered, sworn, cussed, ranted, and raved, about the cool weather and rain this summer, I've never seen Pentoga Road so green this time of the year. Sure beats the faded brown that was so prevalent when I first bought our home years ago after three years of extreme drought.

Difficult to believe this was under three feet of water just two months ago.
I managed to find the time to move a few of the bigger items from the barn to the new container. It still looks empty even with the snowmobile, chipper, lawn sweeper, and mower inside, 




I like where the container is sitting, tucked away out of sight, yet easily accessible. I'm going to spend some time enlarging the trail around it so Boyd and Ron can make their annual pilgrimage into the woods on Labor Day. I'm also going to make a new trail from the shop to the container to alleviate having to walk clear around the backyard to gain access.

Sargie arrived home last night after a quick stop at the beautician's to get purtified. (<- a deep thought Alaska Professor word meaning, to get even prettier than you already are.) We had pizza and watched television until bedtime.

If you know what's on today's agenda, then you are more knowledgeable than I. I hope to have Sargie help me lay tarps over the large wood pile and no doubt I'll move more goodies to the new container. 

Also, the annual Mighty Milligan Labor Day celebration is a week from Sunday right here on Pentoga Road. No doubt my blushing bride will find plenty of honey-do chores for me to complete over the next several days.

Speaking of chores, it's time for another cup of coffee and possibly think a deep thought or two.

I had a guy ask me if I knew there was a large hornet's nest attached to our house. I told him that those were my "watch hornets" and their job was to keep anyone away from the garden who might steal our vegetables. Poor guy didn't know whether to believe me or not. I sprayed the nest a month ago and it's empty. I keep it there as a "conversation" piece.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...