Saturday, August 26, 2017


August 26, 2017 - Saturday
44 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

We're up and around this morning in anticipation of nephew Garth's wedding early this afternoon in Iron Mountain. Mel called yesterday and we'll be going over to help dress the ring bearer, Grady, in his mini tuxedo.

I'm sitting here with my eyes closed thinking. 

Hmm....

Bull - china shop
Hambone - ring bearer

That's not really fair. Grady was a ring bearer earlier this year in a wedding and I'm told that he performed his duties wonderfully. Now that he's an old seasoned veteran, I'm certain it will be the same today... or will it?



Friday morning began with a stroll to the mighty Brule River that forms the Wisconsin/Michigan State line.


It was the perfect day for hiking. The thermometer was registering forty degrees when I left with nary a cloud in the sky.


The road also serves as an ATV/snowmobile/logging/auto/truck roadway. I met none of the above during yesterday's stroll.


The wildflowers are the most beautiful I've ever seen. The ample rain of this past summer has produced some outstanding colors. 


A visit to the Brule means one has to stroll through downtown Pentoga Village. It was pretty quiet in the hood Friday morning.


The home on the left is vacant and for sale. (3 bedroom, four acres, good condition for $52,000) There's a log home on the right that has been vacant for the past couple of years. Come to think of it, NO one lives in Pentoga. It's a ghost town.
There are some beautiful flowers growing alongside one of the derelict houses in Pentoga Village.


I'm uncertain what they are, but I'm going to borrow a seed head when they finish blooming. The flowers are absolutely brilliant yellow, my favorite color.

I found Sargie ready to go for a drive once I arrived back home. We did a bit of shopping in town where I purchased a dress shirt. Sargie searched for some shoes, but didn't find anything she was looking for. 


Our drive was uneventful, but we definitely noticed the leaves are rapidly changing colors.



They are early this year and brilliant. I'm wondering if this is a hint at the winter ahead?

Early colors = a hard winter? 


Our local lake isn't the only one that's seen a dramatic rise in depth this summer. This was taken at another small lake not far from Pentoga Road.


 Back home, we covered the woodpile. Let 'er rain or snow. We're ready for either.



While Sargie cleaned house and did laundry, I busied myself with the new storage container or in the garden. Sargie later sat on the front porch and read the evening paper. 

It was a perfect ending to a perfect day.

Pentoga Road
Walking home from the river
Today will be a busy one. After this afternoon's wedding, the family will be migrating to Holly and Ross's to spend time until this evening's reception/dinner/dance. 

I'm going to try to get some rest while at Holly and Ross's. I'm certain that after the dinner tonight, Sargie will hear the music and become a woman possessed. There's little doubt we'll be dancing the night away.

She's a wild one, that beautiful bride of mine.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...








No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...