Thursday, August 12, 2021

The giant pumpkin is gaining pounds per day

August 12, 2021 - Thursday morning
58 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

I can't believe it. I'm sitting here with a blanket on my lap this morning as it's actually a bit on the nippy side.

Love it!

After a week of high humidity and warm temperatures, a series of storms marched through yesterday and with it, cooler temperatures and drier air.

Much of yesterday was spent in the shop. After a summer of being used mostly as a tool cabinet on steroids, it was time to put the tools back where they belonged and remove the thick layer of dust that covered everything. There's still much to do, but it's better than it was. 

Mississippi Brother Garry and Miss Jody will be spending some time with us next month and there's little doubt that Garry and I will find our way to the shop in the name of creativity.

Sargie wasn't idle. The girl decided it was time to sand the bathroom cabinets and apply new stain and poly. I'm not sure where she got the energy, but the girl made me tired just watching her. We're going to start looking for a new bathroom vanity and sink in the near future to gain a bit more room and modernize a bit.

I've noticed the pond pump has lost some of its energy. Thinking that, after working 24/7 for the past three years, it might be wearing out, I went on the internet to shop for a replacement. It was there I found a discussion group talking about clogged pumps.

Duh, that hadn't even occurred to me. It was time for a swim.


In the end, I found the pump wasn't clogged, but rather, the problem lie somewhere in the 50 feet of four inch, perforated, plex pipe that runs under the tons of gravel making up the underwater filters. 

Hmm. Suddenly a light bulb came on between my ears.

I took the pump that circulates 5,000 gallons of water an hour and connected it to the system backwards. Rather than suck the water through the pipe, I hoped it would forcefully pump it back in and blow the clog open.

It worked, at least so far. Another potential Pentoga Road crisis averted in the name of goldfish.


The rest of the afternoon was spent trimming back the aquatic vegetation growing in the deepest parts of the pond. It creates a great environment for the fish and helps to keep the water clear. Unfortunately, if left unchecked, the potential jungle would also completely take over our swimming area.

Using a pair of old fashioned hedge shears, I snipped away from above while sitting in one of our kayaks.


 Last evening was a quiet one and sleep came easy.

With cooler temperatures and drier air, I hope to spend much of today hauling and working up firewood. Other than that, the world's the limit. 

It's a wild life we lead here in Maple Valley.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

Grandson, Coleman, showing some of his mountain biking skills

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...