Wednesday, August 11, 2021


Storms and rain didn't stop us from having a good time at Lisa and Benoit's on Six Mile Lake

August 11, 2021 - Wednesday morning
67 degrees/cloudy/hazy/calm winds
Pentoga Road

I'm going to begin with a serious moment here. 

Our sympathies and condolences go out to our friends, Norriene and Big Jim. Jim's oldest daughter recently passed away, unexpectedly, of a heart attack. 

I can't imagine what it's like to lose a child, regardless of age. What I do know is that our hearts ache for both. Prayers are with you my friends.

It's another muggy, humid, day in the north woods. Carl the Weatherman says this humidity will move on in the next day or so. It can't leave soon enough.

Arriving home from my walk Tuesday morning, I hauled in another load of firewood. After being rained on, each piece seemed extra heavy and the constant cloud of mosquitoes buzzing around my head made the chore less than pleasant.

At one point, with sweat dripping in my eyes, I removed my glasses before snagging and breaking an ear piece. The retired optician with whom I sleep didn't seem at all pleased, but I've assured her I can fix them. Having worked with  eyeglasses for a living, she doesn't appear nearly as optimistic.

Bringing the trailer filled with wood to the barn, I managed to split and stack the entire load before it was time to leave for Six Mile Lake.


I ran through the shower, put on fresh clothes, grabbed Sargie Pants, and away we went.

To say we had a good time would be an understatement. With that in mind, I've developed a rather scientific formula:

great hosts + great guests + plus a perfect setting = the best of times

Here's proof:





Benoit recently purchased a drone and was offering free pilot's lessons to anyone interested. Ross didn't hesitate.


... and I'm happy to say we now call him Captain Ross. I hear Alaska Airlines is looking for pilots.



Benoit offered to let me fly the drone, but no better than my eyesight is, I'd have it crashing somewhere out in the middle of the lake.

Severe storms that skirted to our north ran us undercover. The skies grew nasty and rain eventually fell. Thankfully, the heavy winds and hail failed to materialize.

The gathering began to break up later in the afternoon. We made a stop for Sargie's hair appointment before coming on home. Last night was a yawner.

I'm following and keeping in touch with my friend, Hanna, a long distance hiker, who is currently doing an 83 mile, eight day, solo trek through the VERY remote, very difficult, Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. Hauling a pack weighing in excess of forty pounds, she's been keeping in touch, via satellite, and is slowly making progress, though ankle deep water and steep elevations have been a challenge.


Hanna's employing the Garmin Inreach, the same device that I'll be using on my AT journey that will allow Sargie and Trail Boss Scott to keep in immediate contact with me if needed (and vice versa). All will be able to see my daily progress via a special website.

Back on Pentoga Road, I hope to get another load of wood hauled in and worked up today. It's so darned wet and humid, I really don't feel like doing anything. I say that every morning, but once the joints get to moving, it's a new ballgame.

Time to go for my morning stroll and see what's happening in the hood of Pentoga Village.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

That's my BFF, great niece, Catlain. After teaching me how to play the card game, 31, she cleaned my clock. I should have known I was doomed from the start when she said, "You know, Uncle Tom, I'm going to win." The girl didn't lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...