Thursday, November 2, 2017


November 2, 2017 - Thursday
33 degrees/fog - glop/calm winds
Pentoga Road

Happy birthday to my grandson, Cody, of Old Saybrook, Connecticut, who turns six today. You go for it, buddy!

If ever there was a time when a snow zombie should rise from the slush and emerge out of the fog, this is it. I expect what snow fell during the night will melt and the fog to dissipate shortly after sunrise.

Meanwhile, onto the really important news from Pentoga Road...

Gone are the days of unclogging the dryer screen of wood chips midway through the cycle. My favorite nap time area will no longer look like a nest made from shavings rather than a recliner. The days of our sweeper bag being clogged with bits and pieces of wood that have fallen off my clothes upon entering the house are gone.

You see, I parted with some of my hard-earned pension check and bought a shop apron. I spent $8.59 (with free shipping) and ordered my newest fashion statement online. 

I'll be the envy of all my friends and relatives. Women will want me, men will want to be me.

I expect Mississippi Garry to follow suit and Neighbor Mike, no doubt, will be seen sporting a shop apron while working around his camp.  Yooper Brother Mark might be observed with an apron tied around his waist as he makes the rounds in the plant and I expect that even Uncle Bobby, the Love Doctor, will occasionally be donning his in Sitka  while at Coffee With the Grandpas. 

It's not always pretty being a trend setter, but remember, you saw it here first. 

Onto another subject:

I'm walking early Wednesday morning out in the middle of nowhere, really in the boonies, when I noticed a sign on a random nearby tree.

For sale? No trespassing? Rummage sale?

Nope.


Security cameras? Someone either has a sense of humor or we have The Island of Dr. Moreau a mile in back of our property. Hmm, maybe there really are snow zombies.

Most of Wednesday was spent in the shop where I continued work on Christmas presents. Growing tired of making kiddie stuff, I moved on to something serious like trying to fashion a pilgrim from a fence post.

Adam was made from dust. Why not a pilgrim from a fence post? (Absolutely no comparison to our Creator, just trying to be humorous.)
The more I turned, the more my creation looked like a pumpkin head and that in turn, looked like a snowman.


I decided as long as the piece was mounted on the lathe, it should be hollow on the inside, a bowl.

Hmm, why not make the lid into a hat?


I've never painted a male or female pilgrim and am looking forward to the challenge of doing each.

Looking at the picture, I already see the hat should have been smaller and tapered towards the top, the head fatter and not so... post-like. No doubt, as Thanksgiving approaches, there'll be ample opportunity to refine my pilgrim skills.
Stay tuned. The final outcome could be a pilgrim with an orange head, a corn cob pipe, and two eyes made out of coal. Throw in a white beard and some bunny ears and we'd have a creation for every season.

... or could it be something from... The Island of Dr. Moreau? *

It was later in the afternoon when I left for Iron Mountain to meet Sargie so I could keep her company on the ride home.

First, I stopped at Holly and Ross's and put the cover over the air conditioner. What I didn't realize was that there was a hose coming out the the back of the unit halfway up. I had to remove several slats from the cover to make it fit. 

Sargie and I had a nice trip home followed by a quiet evening. I'll be riding back with her this morning to retrieve the Blazer. 

The only item on today's agenda is to try painting a pilgrim and fending off any snow zombies.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...



*  If you were a culturally deprived child and didn't get to watch The Island of Dr. Moreau, it's a must-see movie about a mad scientist who creates monsters by crossing various species. I recommend it as required viewing to fully enhance one's realistic view of the cultures of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...