Wednesday, November 1, 2017




November 1, 2017 - Wednesday
22 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

Ah, the day after Halloween. No doubt there are munchkins all around the world hung over from sugar highs. 

Officer Marley 
For the umpteenth year in a row, we didn't have any trick or treaters knock on our door. I'm not surprised. We live ten miles out of town with no close neighbors. It's pretty dark and desolate out here on Pentoga Road.

Aubrey
Can you tell Daddy's a law officer?
Oh well, that means Sargie and I will have to eat the two bags of our favorite candy bars meant for any ghost or goblins who might have come.

The roads were slick Tuesday morning. Ice covered the pavement topped by a layer of snow.



Back home, I checked the garden pond and saw exactly what I was afraid of. Ice.



Delayed as long as possible, the time had come to move the goldfish and drain the pond.

Neighbor Mike stopped by for a visit while I was waiting for the temperature to warm.




It was time to start the goldfish process. First came cleaning the ten gallon tank and gravel. Both were kept in the storage unit all summer.



My attentions were turned to the fifty gallon tote in the basement. A hose was brought inside so it could be filled directly from the pump. 


Since the tote isn't meant to hold water, I made sure all four sides were supported, even to the extent of using two fifty pound blocks.

It was time to catch and move the fish. I paid $1.50 for a flimsy butterfly net early last summer and used it as a skimmer to help scoop debris from the pond.



It worked just as well netting the fish.



Most were released in the tote downstairs.



I cleaned and hooked up the fountain pump, sans fountain, to filter and keep the water moving.

The remaining fish were placed in the ten gallon tank upstairs.



With the fish tucked in for the winter, I turned my attentions back to the pond. The waterfalls pump was used to move the water out into the garden.



Twenty minutes later, the level was drawn down. Good 'nuff for the winter months.



My original plan was to remove and pressure wash the rocks, walls, and bottom of the pond this fall. Yeah, well, that won't happen. I'll do it next spring.

Sargie was home after a beautician's appointment last night. We had a quiet evening watching Dancing With the Stars on DVR.

Ross and I were going to get together today, but they were called at the last minute to help care for sick grandchildren and family. So, other than my usual walk, the only activity on today's agenda is to spend time working in the shop. Yooper Brother Mark brought me some wood and I'm eager to try my hand fashioning a pilgrim. Of course, there are still a few million Christmas presents to make. 

It's a busy busy time of the year.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...