Thursday, August 17, 2017


Grandson, Wyatt, following in his father's footsteps on a mountain bike.
August 17, 2017 - Thursday
63 degrees/rain/breezy
Pentoga Road

Had I not been there at his birth, I'd have sworn my oldest son, Josh, was born on a bicycle of some kind. Even as a very young boy, he was racing up and down our gravel drive on two wheels and jumping over any and everything, not always successfully. 

It appears Wyatt has the same penchant for riding on two wheels, or one, or as seen in the opening picture, none at all.

It's said the acorn never falls far from the tree. 

Arriving home from my walk on Wednesday morning, I changed shoes and headed to the trailer filled with wood.


It took all morning and part of the afternoon, but for the second time in two weeks, I unloaded and worked up an entire load in one day. I think I inherited that extra enthusiasm from Grandpa Pennington. He loved handling firewood. So do I.

I swept the trailer and pulled it back to town, leaving it at Yooper Brother Mark's plant for yet another load. One more should be enough to see us through the winter and give us a head start on next year.

There's a place adjacent to where the storage container will sit that needed to be cleared. 


I have nightmares about the driver trying to back into a very narrow space and not having enough room to maneuver the trailer holding a forty foot container. I added a few extra feet of wiggle room.


Almost three hours were spent on either the backhoe, the tractor, or with rake in hand. 


If the container can't be dropped in it's intended place and I can't budge it by using a combination of the backhoe and little tractor, I'll have to hire someone with heavy equipment to come in and push it into place.

After a quick dash through the shower, I hopped in the Blazer and drove to Iron Mountain to meet Sargie and ride home with her. She's working some long hours this week and occasionally riding with her gives us a bit more time together.

I'll ride back with her this morning and run an errand or two while in Iron Mountain before returning home. 

I'm definitely going to order the shipping container today. Since it's so big and heavy, I've hesitated while making sure the area north of the barn is completely ready. It's not going to get any more prepared than it already is.

Time to pull the trigger. Bang.

Rain is in the forecast and I hope to spend a few hours later today in the shop. I started painting pieces of a puzzle a couple of weeks ago and have dreams of spending a lazy afternoon painting or taking a nap... or both.

Our few apples are beginning to ripen.
After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

The front planter is bursting with color.


No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...