Wednesday, August 16, 2017


Cosmos on just one plant
August 16, 2017 - Wednesday
51 degrees/partly cloudy/calm winds
Pentoga Road

Tuesday was a pick 'em up/lay 'em down kind of day. Sargie had one thing in mind, to paint the bathroom. By the time we went to bed last night, not only was the room painted, most of the wall and window hangings were back in place.


I began the day in the garden, plucking weeds here and there and harvesting a few goodies.

Kohlrabi, tomatoes, and our first banana pepper.
Below is this season's first head of cabbage.
I'm really excited at the prospect of having Brussels sprouts this fall. I needed a few plants (of anything) to fill a space on the orchard side of the garden that had flooded. All I could find was one three-pack of sprouts.  


Despite my best care, I've never been able to grow them in the UP. These plants were thrown at the ground and for the most part, ignored. Maybe I've been trying too hard in the past.

My attentions were moved to the backhoe where I did some late season maintenance, changing the oil, cleaning or changing the filters, and greasing every nook and cranny.


Since I wanted to make one last pass over the sand and gravel pad where the shipping container will sit, I changed to a more landscape-friendly bucket. 


Much wider and without teeth, it creates a much smoother surface.

Sargie and I took a quick ride to town making a couple of stops along the way. Our ride was short as she wanted to get home and work on the bathroom.

I spent much of the afternoon making one last check of the pad. Twine was run around the perimeter ensuring it was level on all sides and smoothing over any high or low places. 


It's as even as I can make it and is officially ready. It's time to order the container.

We noticed the trailer was full of wood when we drove by Yooper Brother Mark's plant yesterday. Sargie needed a paint roller so I volunteered to go back to town, purchase what she needed, and pick up the trailer.


It's so much easier to back into where I pile the wood since doing some simple landscaping. I used to miss one tree by less than an inch and if the ground was wet, it made a big mess.



Sargie finished the bathroom early in the evening. We ate a simple supper while watching a delayed America's Got Talent on DVR.

Sargie opens today. I'm going for my usual walk then order the shipping container. Otherwise, I plan to spend the day emptying the trailer and putting up firewood. There's a 100% chance of rain forecast for Thursday so I'll take advantage of today's nice weather and enjoy it while I can.

It's time to get this show on the road.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...


No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...