Saturday, September 29, 2012



That's a VERY content Auntie Sargie who is holding her niece, week-old Brielle, for the first time.
September 29, 2012 – Saturday
39 degrees
Pentoga Road

I’m officially on day one of my re-retirement. It doesn’t feel nearly as euphoric as the first day of my real retirement several months ago, although as Holly and Jeannie, Sargie’s sisters (both retired) said last night, “We don’t want to work. There’s plenty to do.”

Amen, sisters.

My list of things-to-do is a mile long and growing, although the first activity on my agenda this morning is to go fishing. Let’s get our priorities straight.

The intersection of Pennington Boulevard and Pentoga Road. No stoplights needed.
My last day at camp on Friday morning was a busy one. Poor Pastor Tracy… the girl is doing the job that used to be done by three people. It’s a good thing she’s young, smart, and energetic; she’s going to have to be.

I did my usual chores and Tracy asked if I might type out the instruction sheets I’d made earlier on how to operate the software programs. A typical teacher, I’d made a “Camp Software for Dummies,” booklet so this dummy could navigate around the computer.

I also spent a bit of time with the Chit Chat Girls, a group of quilters who come to camp twice a year, rent one of units, gab and quilt for several days. They were having a good time eating, quilting, talking, quilting, eating, quilting, talking, talking… well, you get the idea. I can’t understand why they named themselves the Chit Chat Girls.

Marcia, the head of the quilting clan brought me a sample of seedless blackberry jelly. I’m going to drop off a jar of my tomato preserves on my way fishing this morning. She’s a northern Yooper. I’m from the south part of Yooperdom and in this case, the South will rise again when it comes to jellying. I’ve a feeling this could be the beginning of some yearly jam/jelly/preserve competitions.

I bade Pastor Tracy goodbye at noon, made my last run to mail out camp correspondence, and stopped by the bank to beg a ride from Tricia, Sargie’s sister, to Iron Mountain later in the afternoon.

The rest of Thursday was spent in the basement and around the house putting away the end of Sargie’s belongings from our last moving expedition. We have the room, but until yesterday, hadn’t had the time.

I began by completely rearranging the main room in the basement. Several hours were spent cleaning, sweeping, throwing away, and making it much nicer. Other than an occasional springtime seep of water, it’s a dry basement, a good place to do the laundry and store out-of-season items.


By afternoon’s end, the last box was stored away, the upstairs straightened and made ready for the final push that should occur on Sunday. It will be good to finally get us both under one roof.

The colors outside our front window on Thursday morning. Friday's view promises to be just as good.
I met Trish at 5 at the township hall and we had a wonderful conversation on our way to Iron Mountain. The leaves were brilliant and even Trishia, a native Yooper, commented on how particularly beautiful they are this year.


Thursday evening was spent with Brielle, her mommy and daddy, and the rest of the family. There were some great conversations held around the table and recipes shared. Holly gave me a new zucchini recipe that promises to be great. I also got her chocolate zucchini cake formula that produces one of the best desserts I’ve ever had. Hmm, let’s guess what Tommy P will be doing on the first inclement day that he can’t go outside to play? I’ve got a couple of big squash stored in the basement that should be perfect.


We bade Brielle and the family goodbye and arrived home around 9 PM. Sargie was tired and I wasn’t much better. Bed felt good… what I remember of it.

Sargie has to close tonight which means an extra long day for her. After seeing her off, I hope to go fishing in search of the mighty bluegill. Reading the weather predictions for next week, it appears the open water fishing season could be drawing to a close.

There’s a forecast of up to three inches of snow to fall on Wednesday night and another inch of white stuff promised with a low of 12 degrees and a wind chill of -2 on Friday. Of course, we’ll have Indian summer later in October… won’t we?



And so are the tales from Pentoga Road…




No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...