Friday, October 1, 2021


October 1, 2021 - Friday evening
72 degrees/partly cloudy/calm winds
Pentoga Road

The name of the game on Friday was to make significant progress in the garden house. We did just that.

I'm writing Friday evening in the hopes that I might sleep in a bit Saturday morning before Yooper Brother Mark arrives for our weekly Saturday morning walk. For whatever reason, I've been feeling worn out, left without the usual vim and vinegar I usually have, so maybe an extra couple hours of sleep tomorrow morning will alleviate that condition.

Mark pulled in the drive shortly after sunrise Friday morning. We had a great walk and were delighted to see our neighbor, Sue, and her visiting friend, Beth, out for a morning stroll. Originally from this area, Beth now lives in Colorado.

Beth, Sue, Mark
Ever feel as though you are being watched? Mark saw it first, but it took me a bit to see what was camouflaged in the weeds and brush.
 

Back home and with breakfast eaten, Sargie and I began working on the interior of the garden house. 


The old barn siding remained a challenge throughout the day. Sargie and I took turns cutting, nailing, measuring, and occasionally muttering as the day went on.

I was using the power nailer overhead when Sargie suddenly exclaimed that I should have been a plumber rather than a school teacher. Looking at the picture, I believe she was onto something.

We finished three walls and much of the front before calling it a day. All that remains is trim work, attaching some smaller boards between the front door and windows, and making trim to hide our mistakes.

We are well pleased the way the walls have come out. The old barn boards are anything but easy to work with, but in the end, I think it will all be worth our effort.

We were also delighted to discover that there were enough boards to do all four walls with enough left over to make trim for the corners, ceiling, door, and windows. One board less and we wouldn't have had enough.

I insisted we quit later in the afternoon. What's left are things that I can do alone. I was tired, more so than Sargie, and I didn't want to start getting sloppy, something I do well when I've had enough.

A short ride around the area was relaxing following a day of nonstop construction. After grabbing a burger, we took our time and came back home in a round about way.

Sargie's been growing nasturtiums all summer long, but one in particular caught our eye this evening. The main stem and roots are in a pot a few feet from the wood sheds.

The vine has grown across the ground and woven its way between the fire wood and has emerged a few feet above the ground.

Pretty? That girl of mine grows some beautiful flowers, even in a shed filled with fire wood.

I gave Alaska Curt a couple of spaghetti squash yesterday when he stopped by for a visit. The closet chef sent a picture earlier today of his Alaskan/Yooper recipe for how best to enjoy the squash.

First comes half a squash, then a layer of brats sliced thinly, followed by a layer of tater tots. It looks delicious and Sargie and I, both, agree we'll be trying Alaska Curt's recipe sooner rather than later.


I'll be returning to the garden shed Saturday after my morning walk. With rain in the forecast, I wouldn't mind working in the morning and being lazy for the rest of the day. I caught a rumor that Cheeks may be coming over to spend the night. After that, all bets are off.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...