Sunday, October 3, 2021

The pallet of colors I see when I sit in my recliner and look out the window.

October 3, 2021 - Sunday morning
64 degrees/dense fog/calm winds
Pentoga Road

In the arctic, my initial view of the day was of the Noatak River and the foothills of the Brooks Range. In Sitka, it was Mt. Edgecumbe, an extinct volcano that watches over the hundreds, if not thousands, of islands below. 

I was hesitant to give up my views when I first purchased our home on Pentoga Road over a decade ago, but it's said God always gives us what we need if only we are patient. 

It's true. Every fall at about this time, He gives those of us who live in the UP one of the most beautiful sights in the world, a confirmation that no matter where one lives, beauty abounds. Usually it's right in front of our face. All we have to do is open our eyes and be willing to see it.

Pentoga Road on Saturday afternoon

Page two:

Hey hey hey, check this out.
As of Saturday afternoon, I'm signed, sealed, and certified (otherwise known as registered) to hike the Appalachian Trail beginning February 16th. Pokalong and I will meet at the lodge in Amicalola Falls on the 15th, stay the night and make final preparations before embarking on the trail the morning of the 16th. Whether we will be driven around to the actual trail or hike up the 8 mile approach trail that's not really a part of the AT,  depends on ice and snow conditions. 

None the less, it's official. I'm going!

Page Three:

You know, this blogging/picture thing seems to be an all or nothing proposition. Either I have more pictures than I know what do do with or often, I am hard pressed to find one or two that I deem worthy of publishing. Between Cheeks' visit yesterday and the beautiful leaves, I have enough photos today to fill a coffee end table book.

First, those of Cheeks. We met Macrea early in the afternoon for the Cheeks exchange. Initially, she was happy, but rather subdued. Every time I held her, she cried, but we soon discovered that was because she didn't like Pawpaw's new black rimmed glasses.

Yesterday, she was Grandma Sargie's girl all day. The two spent the afternoon doing girl things and enjoying the perfect day.




Cheeks personality began to decline as the day progressed. She went from her usual wiggly, squiggly, self to being contented lying Grandma's arms. If I tried to hold her, she'd break into a wail that could be heard 'round the world. 

"Don't touch me, Pawpaw. Today I'm Grandma's girl."

Last night saw a further decline. I was watching tv when I heard Sargie say, "OH NO." Cheeks had let loose with a projectile vomit that, like her previous wailing, went 'round the world, or at least the bathroom, not once, but twice. It was all over the floor, the cabinets, counter tops, door, and Cheeks' favorite person of the day, Grandma Sargie, who was drenched with it.

As much as we hated to, we called Mel and Macrea in Marquette and told them Cheeks was sick. To make a long story short, we met them late last night to exchange an exhausted baby. The last we heard, the kids had arrived home in Iron Mountain with no more incidents and Cheeks was sleeping soundly.

Page four:

I believe the fall colors peaked the day before yesterday. With our recent rains, the ground is becoming cluttered with dead leaves and we're beginning to see bare places in the trees.


 Yesterday's colors were spectacular.


This has been one of the better leaf peeping seasons we've had in years. Still, all good things come to an end and in another week or two, our world will begin turning to a rather dull gray color, a sure sign that winter is on its way.

I'm not sure what's on the agenda for today. I ought to work on the garden house, but if the predicted rain arrives, I may play in the shop or continue my work on perpetual motion or perhaps, finally solve the secrets of fission and fusion. On the other hand, I may just take a Sunday afternoon nap.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

Don't get too close. She may look sweet, but under that baby facade, there's a volcano, ready to erupt at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...