Tuesday, September 7, 2021


September 7, 2021 - Tuesday morning
55 degrees/rain/breezy
Pentoga Road

If it's not an otter or some four legged critter from below, it's an osprey, eagle, or this morning, a great blue heron, that's trying to steal our goldfish.

I came in the living room after pouring a second cup of hot coffee and as is my habit, glanced out the window towards the garden. There was the lowdown, no good, robber, poised to spear one of our prized seventeen cent goldfish.


I ran outside in the pouring rain, snapping pictures on the fly and screaming like a banshee possessed. Ain't no way, no sir, that skinny winged parakeet on stilts was going to take my fish. 

The last I saw, he was flapping his way through the forest, gaining altitude, and hopefully, making his way south for the winter.


It's a good thing the heron came along so I could tell you that story, otherwise, there'd be little to write about. Labor Day was anything but that. Absolutely, no labor happened on Pentoga Road.

I enjoyed a nice morning walk, the last section slicing through some very thick fog. I'm not certain where it came from, but with a northerly wind, I'm guessing it blew in from Lake Superior.

The day eventually cleared, allowing Sargie and me to visit a lake or two to our north. Windy and somewhat chilly, we were surprised to see a group of kayakers on our local lake. We later noticed a truck in the parking lot with Minnesota plates, probably northern Minnesota. 

Ah, yes, true northerners. They wouldn't allow a bit of nip in the air and wind in their hair to intrude on their holiday weekend.

Back home, Sargie and I toured the garden and found there'll be a fall cutting of fresh asparagus. You may remember that I cut the old six and seven foot fronds just a few days ago causing the roots to send up new, extremely tender, flavorful, shoots.


That was about it for the day. The cable that allows us to crank the garden umbrella up and down snapped in the wind the other day. We inspected the break and it should be a fairly simple fix.

Last night was spent watching tv and eating leftovers. A perfect end to a perfect day.

It's still raining so I think I'll postpone my morning walk until later when the skies are to clear somewhat. 

What do do? What to do?

Well, it's dark, wet, windy, and not very pleasant. All sound like good excuses to go back to bed and snuggle in with Sargie Pants.

Mama didn't have no dummy.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...



No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...