Monday, September 6, 2021

 

September 6, 2021 - Monday (Labor Day)
44 degrees/clear/calm winds
Pentoga Road

It feels much like the aftermath of Hurricane Ida this morning only there's no clean up, only peace and quiet. The Mighty Milligan Labor Day Celebration has come and gone for another year.

Let me back up just a bit. Cale and I began talking yesterday morning and not only did I forsake writing the daily blog, I skipped my usual walk. 

Friday morning began as a rainy one on Pentoga Road and I took advantage of the opportunity to try out the new hiking umbrella.


Yeah, I don't know. I don't have the proper straps to fix it onto my pack, but even when it was adjusted somewhat, I'm not certain I like a portable roof over my head. It felt cumbersome and weird. I'm not at all certain the umbrella will be a part of the upcoming AT hike.

In the end, I returned to the house and leaving the umbrella behind, put on my rain jacket before once again setting off for Pentoga Village.


Sargie and I were working outside Friday afternoon when a car pulled in the drive. It was Sargie's son, Cale, who surprised us by coming a day early. The boy asked what he could do to help and we weren't slow in answering. It was crunch time and an extra hand was appreciated.

The ashes from the old burning barrel needed to be buried. Would Cale dig a hole using the backhoe? Heck yeah.


Having never operated a backhoe before, he was like a kid with a new toy on Christmas morning. 

That chore finished, he asked how else might he help. How about mowing the lawn and front meadow?


As with the backhoe, it was his first time operating a riding mower and the boy was all smiles as he navigated the green, grassy, acres.

Sunday morning dawned chilly and windy. The big day had arrived. Cale and I spent a couple early morning hours talking and sipping coffee. Sargie was doing her morning routine and after a hectic week, it felt good to be lazy.

I finally started the charcoal smoker and prepared the large pork loin. After multiple injections of melted butter, the pig was covered with a full pound of bacon, smothered in barbecue sauce, and placed in the smoker.


The tender, juicy, loin was removed several hours later. It must have been okay as there was nary a piece left over at day's end.


Family and friends began arriving early in the afternoon and the rest is history. There was more than one picture taken of little ones standing or sitting on the giant pumpkin, games were played, and of course, talking, laughing, and eating, was the main order of the day.

Grill master Jeanne, with the help of her capable assistant, Ross, assumed the very important role of grilling the brats and burgers. 


Those, the pork loin, spaghetti, several salads, fruits and vegetables, and a couple of desserts, ensured no one went hungry.

As for the rest of the day, the pictures best tell the story.














The gathering began to break up late in the afternoon. After mock battles over who would get Holly's leftover (and now famous) apple bars or Macrea's freezer corn, it was with tons of hugs, kisses, and I love you's, that we bade all goodbye.


On today's agenda? 

NUTHIN'!

I may wander out to the shop and continue working on a bowl that's mounted in the lathe, or possibly, begin a new scroll saw piece. No doubt, Sargie and I will take a ride and who knows, I might even sneak in an afternoon nap.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

Peace out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...