Saturday, September 25, 2021

 


September 25, 2021 - Saturday morning
40 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

Friday went by in a whirlwind. I've never seen a day fly by so fast.

My early morning walk began well before daybreak. Carrying a small flashlight and wearing a reflective vest, I trekked to Pentoga Village, arriving home shortly after sunrise.


We sat in the living room with the mandatory cups of coffee and gabbed for a bit. It wasn't long before Garry and I found ourselves in the shop. With a scrap piece of ash mounted in the lathe, he began working on what he hopes will turn out to be an elf type character called a "gonk." Stay tuned for how that turns out, but I have a feeling it's going to be good.

With near perfect weather conditions, we hitched the trailer to Garry's pickup and headed to Milligan Mountain to get some siding off the old dilapidated barn. 


I know it's hurtful for Sargie and her family to watch the ancient structure in its final death throes. All have fond childhood memories of what was once a beautiful building. 


I knew the barn was in bad shape. I didn't realize how bad. We had difficulty finding any salvageable boards from what had been the first floor exterior.


We did find what we wanted on the outside of the second floor.

I initially climbed up and began prying boards. Having difficulty with one, Garry said, "Let me try." The boy scrambled up the ladder, stepped onto an old beam, and the rest is history. 

 

He didn't come back down until the entire row of boards were removed. 



I had a first happen to me yesterday. Carrying a long board to the trailer, I failed to see a piece of old cement foundation and snagged my foot on the thing. Down I went, ass over tea kettle, landing hard on my right elbow and side.

Initially, I thought I'd broken my arm and didn't know what damage I might have done internally. I was unable to get up and when trying to do so, felt as though I might pass out or lose the contents of my stomach.

Eventually able to sit on the tongue of the trailer, it took half an hour or longer before I could stand. Sweat was pouring down my face and Miss Jody was plying my neck and forehead with cold, wet, paper towels.

To make a long story short, I'm fine. I'm guessing I went into shock, something that's never happened before. It was scary and served as a good reminder that I need to be especially careful on next year's AT journey.

Some bruises and abrasions are evident this morning, but otherwise, I'm back to 100%.

Nancy and Milligan cousin, Cathy, arrived home on Milligan Mountain and soon joined us to see our progress.


We took special interest in the old wooden silo. Built in the early 1900's, it, too, is leaning and I'm fearful it won't be long before it comes tumbling down.


Sargie looked inside yesterday and recalled how she and her sisters used to play inside the silo as young children. 

Back on Pentoga Road, Garry and I got busy removing nails from the old boards. 


Last year, Sargie gave me an air powered "denailer" (for lack of a better word). The nose fits over the sharp end of the nail that is protruding out of the board before pulling a trigger.


I'd never used it and was somewhat skeptical. 

Oh ye of little faith. I should never doubt Sargie.

Talk about work! As fast as we could pull the trigger, the nails shot out the other side of the board so fast that we had to hold a small plastic bucket underneath to catch the nails. 

I think we harvested enough boards to cover the inside of the garden house. We'll know fairly soon.

Last night saw Garry back at the lathe for a bit, Miss Jody and Sargie were inside preparing supper and talking.

Me? I crashed in the recliner in my shop and was happy to listen to the whir of the lathe as Garry made shavings fly. 

Whoops, got to gabbing earlier and now we're leaving for a day of sight seeing and shopping. No time to write more.

Just remember, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...


No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...