Saturday, August 21, 2021


Sunrise over Pentoga Village on Friday morning

August 21, 2021 - Saturday morning
67 degrees/partly cloudy/calm winds
Pentoga Rad

My congratulations go out to Yooper Brother Mark this morning for being inducted into the third phase of The Order of the Arrow - Vigil Honor, in the Boy Scouts. His solitary vigil over a camp fire began last evening with induction ceremonies to be held at a large scout camp north of here this afternoon.

Mark's been active in scouting for many years with this being yet, another achievement in the long list of community organizations for which he's volunteered.

Congratulations buddy. We're proud of you.

Mark arrived at first light Friday morning and we trekked to the Brule River and back.

Walking through the early morning fog and haze made the countryside seem surreal and the sunrise, well, the sunrise was beautiful in a mystical sort of way. 

Upon our arrival home, I immediately headed to the woods with my power saw in hand. I had one maple tree left to cut, but managed to find another that had tumbled to the ground on its own. Both trees were sawed and made ready to haul to the barn.

 

It didn't take a rocket scientist to determine why the second maple had died. Woodpeckers had riddled the base all round stopping any nutrients that might have been supplied from the roots.

I forwent the opportunity to haul the several loads of sawed wood. With sweat dripping down my forehead and into my eyes, I'd had enough. Time to head to the house.

Other than a ride later in the day, that was about it. Sargie noticed something odd on the back of a road sign while exiting the small community of Alpha, seven miles from here.

Hornets have built quite the condo. I'm surprised there hasn't been a tourist come along and try to take it as a souvenir. I'd pay good money to see that.

Other than measure for a wooden form in which to pour concrete as a base for our large garden umbrella and feed the giant pumpkin, that was it for the day's outside activities. It's just too hot to do anything else.

I spent no small amount of time sitting on the living room floor loading my new Granite Gear 60 L backpack. There was room for all my hiking gear with some left over. The fit is great as it rides on my hips rather than my shoulders. Chalk that one off the AT list.

Total pack weight, including an allowance for food, came in around 23 pounds. I'd still like to trim three pounds off that total, but since I'm carrying the heavier winter clothing and equipment to begin, I'm not certain what else can be eliminated. I may have to be satisfied with as is.

Today's pumpkin report: The bulging baby has almost outgrown the board on which it's sitting. I've not measured the pumpkin or done the arithmetic (there's a formula) but, consisting of mostly water and Miracle Grow, I'm certain it weighs in excess of a hundred pounds.

The rest of the garden? It's doing well, but how we need that million dollar rain Dad used to talk about.

Okay, I'd like to get some of the firewood hauled in this morning before it gets too hot. We'll be heading to Pat and Debbie's at the base of Milligan Mountain later this afternoon for a 5K stroll around their property. The $10 entry fee goes to a charity, but really, it's a great excuse for a family gathering. We'll hope the temperature cools off or I've got a feeling there'll be more gathering and less walking. 

Time to head out the door for my morning walk. 

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

In Pentoga Village
 I thought this mama was going to let Yooper Brother Mark walk right up and scratch her behind the ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...