Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sargie and I spent Saturday afternoon and evening with our mini homeboys, who also happen to be our great nephews, Lincoln and Grayson

August 15, 2021 - Sunday morning
53 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

How's this work? It was in the low 40's yesterday morning, low 50's presently. Today's high? 85 degrees with the same forecast for this entire week.

Boy, talk about yo yo'ing temperatures. 

After a quick four mile walk with Yooper Brother Mark Saturday morning, I quickly got to work sawing the last of the two fallen trees in the north woods. 


Both were ready to haul to the yard by breakfast time.


The rest of the morning and early afternoon was spent splitting and stacking. I've not measured how many cords are uncover, but I think I'm right on track to have all we need for this coming winter, plus a cord or more extra should the season be abnormally cold and long.


Brother-in-law, Pat, along with another person, inquired how I like the electric wood splitter. The only type of wood that it struggles with is ash. It's wet, heavy, and stringy, and tough as nails. Otherwise, the splitter rams right through the maple and other hardwoods I've split. 


It was time to run through the shower (literally) and head to Iron Mountain for an afternoon and evening of babysitting with Courtney and Garth's two munchkins, Lincoln and Grayson.

After a quick reintroduction to Munchkin 101 and an assurance all would be well, we bade Mama and Daddy goodbye and settled in for an evening of nonstop action.



I'd forgotten how busy two little boys can be. Good as gold, we watched the movie Ice Age, interspersed with wrestling, playing with a ball, dinosaurs, and about anything else you imagine. Throw in Colby the black lab (who is a great pup) and it was a busy but fun time.


I was mostly the bystander, an observer, as Auntie Sargie took command of the situation and in her magical way, multitasked through the evening.


I ordered a pizza to be delivered last night after the boys went to bed and to cap off a great evening, we treated ourselves to ice cream at Culver's before driving home. 

Grandma and Grandpa arrived to take over the babysitting chores and to spend the night in Munchkinland. Sargie and I arrived back on Pentoga Road around 10:30. Neither of us had any difficulty sleeping.

I'm going to TRY splitting the ash pieces that are undercover today. Assuming I'm successful, I'll turn my attentions to the woods on the south end of the property where four or five large maples, cut last spring, need to be sawed, hauled, split, and stacked.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...