Thursday, August 19, 2021


August 19, 2021 - Thursday morning
57 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

You guessed it. For the umpteenth day in a row, it's all about firewood. Tired of reading about it? Hey, quit your complaining. At least you aren't the one sawing and hauling it in.

Naw, just teasing, but I am tiring of putting up next winter's heat, writing about it, then looking at the pictures, but that's been my life these past couple of weeks.

I arrived home from my morning walk on Wednesday and headed straight to the woods. The previously fallen tree took every bit of my saw blade. Actually, sawing wasn't so bad. It was maneuvering the small Ford tractor so the trunk could be lifted enough to saw without pinching the blade and/or hitting the ground that took the time and effort.

 

Someday, when I grow up, I'm going to get a big boy tractor, one with enough strength to lift more than a few hundred pounds.

OK, that probably won't happen, but both the tractor and the guy who owns it worked hard sawing the trunk into workable pieces.

Finished by 9 AM, I headed to the house and directly into the shower. I was a dripping mess.

Sargie's been wanting new trim for the downstair's bathroom and I'd decided to purchase a new pump for the pond. The old one is growing weaker, no doubt a worn impeller, and I've wanted a spare. The fish and plant life in that artificial pond all depend on the oxygen and circulation provided by the pump, 24/7, 365 days a year.

Time for a drive to Iron Mountain.

Our trip to the big city was productive and after picking up a pizza, we were soon on our way home.

Sargie decided to paint the trim late yesterday afternoon. With the temperatures cooling, she set up saw horses in the shade and began.


I followed the girl out the door and began working on the trailer filled with wood that had been hauled in earlier in the day.


I thought I'd just do a bit while my bride was busy, but in the end, the entire trailer was worked up.


I haven't officially measured how many cords of hardwood we have for this coming winter, but guessing, I'd say around five. The portable garage has multiple ricks plus there are two and a half rows, somewhere between one-and-a-half to two cords, in the east wood shed.


With half of yesterday's large tree left to haul in, plus the final maple still lying on the ground, we should be in great shape to heat this coming winter with plenty left over for emergencies.


After feeding the ravenous giant pumpkin and the parliament (look it up) of goldfish, Sargie and I headed to the house for cool showers and a quiet evening.

(Sorry Miss Jody. There are some words that HAVE to be misused. It's in written in the Ornery Little Boy Handbook. Worry not, it used to drive Mom crazy too.)

Speaking of the pumpkin, it's weight gain can be measured in pounds-per-day now. The blossom end is becoming indented and unable to hold up under its own weight, the top side is beginning to flatten, typical of giant pumpkins.


If we can pry another three to four weeks of summer from Mother Nature before our first frost, we could end up with a pumpkin that weighs several hundred pounds. There are so many variables and things that can go wrong, it's a wait and see game. Meanwhile, I keep force feeding it twice a day. It's time consuming and fairly expensive, but it's fun.

It's what old guys do when they are retired.

OK, it's daylight and time to get to walking. On today's agenda? Yeah, well, you guessed it. More firewood, at least initially. I think Sargie would like the trim installed and I may get that new pond pump hooked into the filtering system of the pond. 

That'll be enough for one day.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

Gateway to the West?
Naw, it's just the power company in Florence hanging a banner to advertise the upcoming Florence County Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...