Tuesday, August 22, 2017


A mama turkey and her little ones feeding in the front meadow in the early morning hours.
August 22, 2017 - Tuesday
57 degrees/cloudy skies/breezy
Pentoga Road

Monday was sure a mixed bag of weather. The day began sunny, warm, and humid, then turned charcoal gray during the eclipse, and later in the afternoon, the skies opened and rain came a'tumblin' down.


I began the day with my usual walk then bit the bullet and began working up vegetables and blueberries to freeze.


I picked enough broccoli sprouts to blanch and freeze. They'll be delicious this winter.

There was a plastic grocery bag of green beans that needed snapping, blanching, and freezing.


Two gallons worth of blueberries were washed and cleaned in preparation for freezing.


I'd purchased ten pounds of chicken quarters at .49 a pound a couple of days ago. Two quarters fit perfectly into quart freezer bags for future eating.


Good golly I was tired of washing and freezing food. I'd earlier heard a lawnmower running up at Neighbor Mike's and decided to go for a visit.

Mike was busy working in his garden. When he questioned why his electric fence wasn't working, I noticed there were quite a few tall weeds touching the wires, certainly enough to short the fence out.

I lent the boy my two-wheeled trimmer and the last I saw of him, he was cutting weeds like a man possessed.


The eclipse was pretty much a non event on Pentoga Road. As mentioned earlier, the sky turned a charcoal gray, but it was far from dark. No zombies attacked and the sky failed to fall in and when it was all said and done, Pentoga Road emerged on the other side of the big event unscathed.

I decided to try fishing below the dam in Crystal Falls.


The biggest happening of the afternoon was tripping and falling on some sharp rocks while trying to get to where I wanted to go. Nothing was hurt other than my body and of course, my pride. After that, I didn't feel like fishing so I turned around and came back home.

Dang, I'm tired of bumping into and tripping over stuff. My legs and ankles look like survivors from Nazi death camps and my body hurts. One thing about it, life is taking on a new challenge and it's not climbing mountains, surviving arctic blizzards, or warding off charging moose.

The storm arrived late in the afternoon. Lightening flashed and thunder roared, but the excitement lasted less than twenty minutes. Even so, it dumped almost half an inch of rain.


Since Sargie had to work late, I grilled a couple of chicken quarters and enjoyed a leisurely supper. Once my bride arrived home, well past nine, we ate the last of the snicker doodle apple pie cobbler and called it a night. 

Sargie opens this morning, which means we should have an evening together. I'm going for my walk this morning then make sure the area where the storage container will sit is ready. The company called yesterday saying it will be here on Wednesday. I'm ready... I think. 

Oh Lord, Baby Jesus, I hope I'm ready.

It's to be windy today and once the trails and meadows are dry, I plan to mow. If I get to feeling extra perky, I'll also do the yard.



Meanwhile, it's time to go pluck enough blueberries off the bushes in the orchard for Sargie's breakfast. I froze everything that had already been picked yesterday.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...