Wednesday, August 23, 2017

NOOOOOOOOO!
First the flood, then a summer of rain and cold weather bringing fungus and blight.
A fitting end to the 2017 gardening season.
August 23, 2017 - Wednesday
53 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

I wonder what kind of winter lies ahead? The frost warning just arrived via email. Actually, the area that's talked about is a few miles to the north, but living in a valley, we often run a few degrees colder than the surrounding area. 

Meanwhile, look what's on it's way!?!

The shipping container arrives today. This is the actual unit that will be delivered later this morning.
I look at that picture above and begin to sweat. The container is needed for storage and it costs considerably less than a shed or a lean-to.

Still, I think where its final resting place will be, mostly out of sight and alongside the barn and I can only hope the driver is able to jackknife the forty-foot monster into place. 


Should the container not be unloaded in it's final resting place, I'll either use a heavy duty winch or hire someone locally with a heavy piece of machinery.

What did I get myself into? Good grief, I'm getting too old for these mega projects.

Since I'd processed and froze all the blueberries Monday, I sneaked out to the orchard early and picked a few for Sargie to have with her breakfast.

It doesn't get much fresher than these. 
The clouds had begun to clear by the time I went for my morning walk and with the temperature in the low fifties and breezy, it was perfect hiking conditions.


The grass was dry enough to mow when I arrived home. After checking the fluids in the mower, I motored towards the back of the property only to have the drive belt break before I even started cutting the grass.

I hopped on the four wheeler and went to Neighbor Mike's to see if he would steer the mower while I towed it back to the barn.


After taking Mike back home, I looked under the machine and saw the belt had broken, not just jumped off the pulleys. 

I could have gone to town, purchased another, and spent most of the day removing half the mower to install the belt. Instead, I ran the tow strap through the rails, pulled the mower onto the trailer, and took it to the mechanics's. 


Sargie was home extra early Tuesday afternoon. We made a quick trip to town and enjoyed a small drive before returning to Pentoga Road. Sargie worked in the kitchen while I did some last minute preparations for the shipping container, fed the goldfish, and picked the first quantity of tomatoes.



I have to be honest, this year's tomatoes aren't the most flavorful I've ever grown. On the other hand, they were mighty tasty last night when placed between two slices of toast for the first BLT's of the summer.

Sargie opens today. The shipping container people said they are leaving Milwaukee early this morning so I expect them here before noon.

Between now and then? I'll go for my walk then come back and pace back and forth while waiting. It's going to be a big day.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...





No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...