Friday, September 3, 2021

The PiraƱas at Feeding Time

September 2, 2021 - Friday morning
54 degrees/cloudy skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

It seems right to be back, sitting here in the dark during these pre dawn hours with with my old Apple Macbook Pro computer on my lap. Assuming my heart's still beating in thirty years, I wonder if I'll continue to pull a camera from my pocket on a whim, snap a picture or two, then write about it the next morning. 

Maybe I'll write for an old folks community, reporting who won the game of Bingo the night before, reminding residents to not leave their walkers where others could trip over them, which shuttle is going to what doctor's office, and complaining about the quality of stewed prunes and/or flavor of pudding being served daily. 

As long as Sargie and I are together, I guess I won't care. There's little doubt that when I'm not chasing her around the complex, I'll be busy getting ready to thru hike the AT to celebrate my hundredth birthday.

It works for me.

Speaking of hiking, I had a good walk yesterday morning. With the temperature registering a solid 39 degrees, the air was crisp and cool, just perfect for a strenuous stroll.

The back pack is getting dialed in and yesterday's weight registered an even twenty pounds. It's hard to believe that everything I'll need for five to six months (other than food and water) will be carried on my back.


I like that. It reminds me of my arctic years when I was content to live a very minimalistic life.

I'm still not sure what the cherry picker was doing on the snowmobile trail in Pentoga Village, but I got to watch it being loaded Thursday morning.


I didn't get a chance to talk to the driver, but it's the most action I've seen in a long time. Let's face the fact that it doesn't take much to entertain me.

The rest of the day was filled with small projects. Sargie's been wanting to paint the very old, very antique, garden bench that she inherited from a great great (possibly another great) aunt long ago. We calculated that the bench has to be close to 150 years old if not older.

The monster weighs hundreds of pounds as it has cement sides and was in a state of poor disrepair when Sargie brought it with years ago. I used resin and epoxy at the time to repair one side and along with new treated lumber, the bench has been sitting in the garden since.

We painted in the bright sun yesterday and watched as the bench inhaled almost half a gallon of Glidden's Red Delicious paint, the same color as the garden house.


The bench complete, I moved my attentions to the top tier of the front steps. The pavers are cute and decorative, but are they ever a pain to level. During a hard rain, the water pours off the front porch and washes out the sand under the pavers. Guttering would solve the problem, but our heavy snows would destroy it before winter's end.

Someday, I'm going to pour conventional steps and be done with the constant leveling. Until then, I'll keep my shovel and sand handy and be prepared to jump into action after each rain.

Sargie had so much fun painting the garden bench that she spray painted some of our patio furniture. The girl was on a roll.


We've been wanting to get a few more flat pavers to put under the patio table and chairs sitting near the pond. We either had to go shopping last night or take time out of today. We opted to drive to Iron Mountain late yesterday afternoon.

We had a quick visit with Jeanne and Boyd and of course, their little granddaughter, Aria. From there we went back to the Vision Center for another repair on my very worn out glasses.


Along with the repair came the opportunity for Sargie to catch up on the news. 

As always, our good friend, Michelle, worked her optician's magic and repaired my glasses as well as they could be fixed.


I have an appointment this coming Wednesday for a basic check up and to order a couple pair of new glasses. One will sport extra heavy duty, big ol' ugly industrial, near indestructible, frames, that will be my trail glasses. I don't see so good with my glasses as it is. Without them, I'm blind as a bat.

Okay, so here comes the Grandpa segment, the "first day of school" pictures of the grandbabies. 
Abigail (senior) and Coleman (freshman)
Ellie (freshman)
Cody Bear (5th Grade) - Wyatt (8th Grade)
Emerson (2nd grade)

Bennet (Kindergarten)

Wes (preschool)

Ivy (kindergarten)

Logan (senior)

Kylee (sophomore)

Hambone/Grady (first grade)

There. I think that pretty well covers this year's crop of first dayer's. Between Sargie and me, we have a herd heading to school, that's for sure.

Oh wait, there's little three year old Finn on his first day of preschool. The grandson of our friends, Claire and John, you'll notice how he's quietly sitting at a table while the girl next to him is noticeably upset at the thought of her mommy leaving.

Classic.

 
I tried uploading this two hours ago, but found our internet had disappeared into the Netherlands of Digitalia. (No such place. I just made it up.) I've taken my walk, had a bite to eat, and it's time to head out the door and get the day started.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

My newest BFF. In a truck next to where we parked, I wanted to reach through the window and scratch him behind his ears. What a great pup, but then, I'm partial to bulldogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...