Thursday, September 23, 2021


September 23, 2021 - Thursday morning
33 degrees/clear skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

I think it's safe to say that summer might be over. It's hard to believe that just a few days ago, the thermometer reached a high of 80 degrees, causing us to put a fan in our bedroom window to blow in cooler air throughout the night. 

That certainly wasn't the case last night. The window remained tightly closed while Sargie and I snuggled deep under the down quilts that cover our bed.

I like all four seasons, but in the north country, fall is my favorite. Putting away shorts in favor of jeans and flannel shirts, I love the way the air feels and smells. There's a nip in the air that puts a spark in a person's step and makes him feel alive.

Ah, fall. Bring 'er on. 

An hour and a half was spent Wednesday morning sitting in the dentist's chair. Discussing which tooth would be the first to receive an eventual crown, Eric decided on the one that actually hurt, a molar located a few feet towards the back of my mouth. 

As much as I tease him, Eric's a gentle man. He's kind, has a soft touch, and most of all, is concerned that his patients are never in pain. 

The boy doctor administered the first novocaine shots. We talked until they were to take effect.

Nothing.

Ah, must have missed that nerve that serves as a conduit to spread the numbness. Next came more shots.

It was better, but for whatever reason, the tooth refused to go numb.

I've never had that problem before nor have Eric's injections ever hurt. He described the tooth as being "hot." Though rare, it occasionally happens.

Who takes a selfie while being injected with novocaine?
Nobody ever accused Mama of having a very bright boy.

In the end, the procedure was done relatively pain free and a temporary crown fastened onto what was left of the old tooth. 

One tooth down, another to go, plus, a possible root canal. Getting ready to hike the AT is more involved than I thought it would be.

I finished cleaning the shop Wednesday afternoon, well, as good as it's going to be. 

 

Buckets of sawdust were carried out and the machinery was wiped down. I wish it would stay this way, but that would mean the shop was sitting unused. It's my toy box, my refuge from the real world. Simply put, I like a messy shop. It means I've been playing with my toys.


With Sargie busy elsewhere, I mowed the lawn, hopefully, for the last time this year. Though some places were fairly long, the grass wasn't nearly as heavy as during the summer months. I'll be taking the mower to the small engine shop to have it serviced and the blades sharpened soon so it will be ready for Sargie next spring when I'm on the trail. 

I had just taken my shower last evening when I happened to look out the window towards the pond.  

Standing a few feet away from the edge, a heron was staring at two of Sargie's lawn ornaments, both herons themselves. That's when it dawned on me. They were decoys. The bird thought they were the real thing.

The real heron to the left of the red chairs
One of Sargie's lawn ornaments towards the garden house

The giant bird stood for the longest time trying to communicate with his metal cousins. Growing tired and no doubt, frustrated, he began walking away.


He eventually gave up and took flight, no doubt winging south, where herons are friendlier than those that permanently reside on Pentoga Road.


I feel like a grade school boy whose mother just told him he could invite a friend to stay the night. Arriving in southern Wisconsin last evening, Mississippi Brother Garry and Miss Jody are due in mid afternoon. The next several days should be filled with shop time, projects, sight seeing, good eating, and of course, lots of talking, laughing, and loving.

It's what we do when we're together.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

Neighbor Sue's pet deer greeted me at the top of Pentoga hill Wednesday morning. I see the doe and her two fawns almost daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...