Sunday, August 8, 2021


August 8, 2021 - Sunday morning
65 degrees/cloudy/calm winds
Pentoga Road

Until now, you've only seen Cheeks at her best, a sweet, loving, happy, little girl, but we've discovered another side to our youngest granddaughter.

When she decides she wants to eat, GET OUT OF THE WAY. Ain't no amount of funny faces, noises, bubble bellies, or rocking, gonna change that girl's mind. Once her tummy is filled and diapers changed, she reverts back to the sweet, chubby, little gal we all know and love.

The blackberry fairy stopped by Saturday afternoon while we were in town running errands and left a full container on the front porch. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Obviously fresh, the large, juicy, berries are sweeter than candy with an out of this world flavor. I've already sampled several and Sargie and I are looking forward to enjoying the rest.

 Again, thank you so much. 

Saturday was a mixed bag of activities. Yooper Brother Mark pulled into the drive just after sunrise and we enjoyed our weekly walk. The boy had just arrived home from their plant in New York and was eagerly anticipating watching Jerad drive in Saturday night's demolition derby at the Iron County Fair.

Back home, I played with Cheeks a bit while waiting for Hambone to rise from the dead and begin his day. An early riser at home, it's not uncommon for him to sleep until almost noon when he's staying with us. I think it's caused from all the fresh air he gets on Pentoga Road coupled with being so busy. Physical activity requires a lot more energy than the movement of two thumbs.

Sargie and Cheeks hung out most of the day doing girl stuff. Cheeks loves her bath and Grandma Sargie loves giving her one.

Cheeks laughed and splashed in the kitchen sink before Grandma Sargie dried her off and slathered her with a coating of Baby Magic. Grandma likes her grandbabies to smell good and feel soft.

I kept busy hauling the wood that I'd bucked up the day before. At one point, I felt eyes upon me. Looking up, I came eye to eye with a doe. Just feet apart, she could have cared less that I was invading her woods.


Two loads were made before the rain began to fall.

The trailer has sure come in handy. It's easy to maneuver in the woods and holds a surprising amount of wood.

The maple is surprisingly easy to split. Straight grained and hard as a rock, it actually pops while splitting and often flies off into two separate pieces. 

A full cord was worked up yesterday, split and stacked.

I wasn't the only one who was busy. Taking his tool box out of the shop, when he wasn't helping me, Hambone spent much of the afternoon "building," as he says. I've never seen wood from the scrap box put to such good use.


When asked what he was making, he replied, "a gun," a rifle to be more exact. The boy is getting ready for deer season.


The rain began in earnest. With the deluge pounding onto the metal roof overhead, I could hardly hear what Hambone was saying. As dry as it's been, Dad would have commented that it was a million dollar rain. So far, .8 of an inch has fallen since yesterday with more in the forecast.

Let 'er rain.

Of course, not being happy to sit under cover and watch, Hambone and I donned umbrellas and spent time walking around the yard and garden. We played with frogs, fed the fish, picked and ate fresh peas straight from the vine, plucked a blueberry or two, and filled and hung the hummingbird feeder.  

It's just a fun thing boys and pawpaws do in the driving rain.


We even made a batch of hummingbird syrup and later, Hambone helped to fill the feeder.

Note the work gloves. Serious stuff there. He says they help him build better.

Last night was a quiet one, well, except when Cheeks decided she was starving to death. I can't speak for the others, but I climbed the steps early and immediately fell into a deep sleep.

I hear Cheeks and Hambone have a first birthday party to attend later this morning, so we'll be meeting Mama and Daddy somewhere to make the munchkin exchange. 

After? 

Ah, peace and quiet, blissful silence. After almost a month of frenzied activity, I can hardly wait.

Rain's in the forecast so I can see an afternoon nap in my future. Mmm.

Possibly a drive? Nice thought.

How about chasing Grandma Sargie around the house? That's a distinct possibility, but sounds too much like work. I think I'll stick with the nap.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

Singin' in the Rain
The next Gene Kelly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...