Friday, August 11, 2017




August 11, 2017 - Friday
55 degrees/cloudy skies/calm winds
Pentoga Road

With even more rain falling on Thursday, the wild flowers are at their prime. It seems yellow of every shade is currently the color du jour. 

Yellow is my favorite color. Beautiful.

The skies opened late Thursday afternoon and dumped over an inch and a half of wet stuff in a relatively short time span. The wind blew, the rain poured down, and as luck would have it, one of my giant sunflowers blew over. This is the year I should have skipped gardening and simply planted flowers or buckwheat as cover crops. I'm seriously considering doing so next year as most of my vine crops and all the tomatoes have some sort of fungus, the second year in a row. Maybe if I skip a year, the disease will die out.

Almost two and a half inches of rain has fallen over the past twenty-four hours.

I spent most of Thursday cleaning out the junk along the north side of the barn where the storage container will sit. 

The area has been used to store anything that has been deemed too valuable to throw away, yet seldom needed. Most of the hidden treasures were probably broken or used, but might be needed for parts. There are a lot of metal pieces should I need some for welding, odds and ends of treated wood, some shelving, etc. 
Almost finished.
Since no one ever sees that side of the barn, I've never been overly careful of how it looks. Most of that changed today. The goodies are either thrown away or stacked to the back of the barn, once again, out of sight.

When the sons were here for Mom's birthday, Luke noticed that some of the fascia on that side of the barn was rotten. I hope to take care of that before the storage container arrives. Ah, some high ladder work while doing a balancing act. What will the poor people be doing?

I had thoughts of mowing the yard when heavy clouds moved in. Rather than risk getting only half finished, I opted to move to the shop and begin painting the pieces of a more advanced alphabet puzzle.




Though I made this puzzle, I hope I can figure out how it goes back together. Many of the letters are abstract. Thankfully, I think I still remember the alphabet... I hope. It's been many years since I had anything to do with kindergarten elementary education.

Let's see:

A, AH, apple
B, BAH, ball
C, KAH, cat
D, DUH, doll

Yup, I should be okay. 

Sargie opens the Vision Center today. I'm going for my walk then plan to finish cleaning the area around the barn, possibly repair the fascia, and if it's dry enough, mow the yard.

Failing that, I might just find the recliner in my shop and rest my eyes. This retirement business isn't for sissies, you know.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...


The ground as been landscaped and made ready for the gravel which will bed the storage container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...