Thursday, April 25, 2013


The boys from Duck Dynasty and I hung out for a while on Wednesday and talked about a sister show... Yooper Deer Camp Dynasty. 

April 25, 2013 – Thursday
30 degrees/snow/drizzle/breezy
Pentoga Road

And just like that, Spring is gone. It arrived Wednesday morning in the form of sunshine, calm skies, and perfumed air that smelled of butterflies, bluebirds, flowers, and hearts. 


Today’s smells of snow, rain, mud, and cockleburrs.

Sunrise this morning. Lake Pentoga, center/back, continues to grow.
I made arrangements to meet and pick up Brutus on Saturday. It’s to be at 10 AM somewhere around Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Yooper Brother Mark and I will be leaving fairly early and I’m looking forward spending some quality guy-time together. He’s so busy and I’m so active that we don’t get that opportunity often.

Brutus’s owner had his veterinarian fax the pup’s medical records yesterday. He’s current on all his vaccinations and this will alleviate them being unnecessarily repeated.

Jimmy heard about Brutus's imminent arrival and is jealous. He hung around me all day Wednesday. The first trick; getting Jimmy to ride Brutus without getting chomped.
Most of Wednesday was spent working in the barn and shop. Some idiot must have spent the entire winter dropping his tools at the first available place and leaving. I sorted, sized, and put everything back in its proper place. Strange, when it’s twenty-below zero and one has been using a wrench barehanded, he doesn’t have the urge to carefully place it back in its proper order among the other wrenches.  That was yesterday’s job.

Stacking and sizing wood
Out of season stuff goes up and over the rafters
At this writing, most of the tools are where they belong, in order, wiped clean of grease and grime and ready for another season of heavy use. The workbench is still a mess as is the bin that contains nuts, bolts, and various goodies. Brutus can help me go through that stuff next week.

I made the journey to Iron Mountain late in the afternoon to go pooch goodie shopping. The ladies from the North Woods Animal Shelter were shopping in the pet section and I told them about Brutus. They’ve been cheering for me to find a pooch and were excited. All three made me promise I’d bring him by the shelter to introduce him.

Sargie and I exited Walmart with much lighter wallets. Brutus now has a huge cushy bed, fifty pounds of dog food, num nums and treats for training and good behavior, a leash, a couple of chew toys, a kennel… the pooch has it better than I do and he’s not even arrived.

I’m going to walk this morning, grade whatever papers have come in during the night, and attempt to paint in the upstairs bathroom. I’ve received notice that the flooring and light fixtures are in transit and with any luck at all, we might be able to finish the bathroom in fairly short order. That will be a huge project out the way.

These shelves, made by the previous owner, were in the upstairs bathroom. Though well made, we decided the hearts had to go. So...
Once they are painted, one won't even know the hearts are missing!
I see the forecasted highs for next week stretch into the 70’s. Just as I suspected, it appears as though we’ll skip spring this year and go immediately into summer. Thankfully, the snow as sunk into the ground rather than run off as melt water. While the rest of the Midwest seems to flooding, our melt has gone straight into the aquifer. It’s been a frustrating, but beneficial spring.

Time to grab another cup of coffee and begin looking at some assignments. A man’s work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road… 

I'm sure we're close to sealing a deal on Yooper Deer Camp Dynasty. I told him I'd have my man call his man and they could do lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...