Sunday, October 7, 2012


Snow squalls made navigation difficult at times on Saturday
October 7, 2012
28 degrees
Pentoga Road

It appears yesterday’s snow squalls and heavy winds have surrendered to an upcoming beautiful sunrise. There were times on Saturday while driving that visibility was substantially reduced.

I’m happy to say I had smooth sailing on Saturday following the coffee incident. I managed to do two loads of laundry and get both hung out on the line, have them dry between snow squalls, and back in by dark. It smelled like we were sleeping outside last night when we crawled into bed. I wish I could bottle up that “clothesline smell” and open it a bit at a time during the winter months.

We sadly ate the last cantaloupe from this past summer's crop. Though it was a bit mushy from storage, like the others, it was very sweet and juicy. There'll be more planted next spring!
We made our way to Sargie’s old house and brought her heavy clothes home. There’s very little remaining and it’s about time to scrub and clean. We’ll both be happy when the move is complete.

The old high school in Alpha. Gone are the beautiful leaves and sunny skies of last weekend.
A side stop was made at a local apple orchard for some Honey Crisp apples, Sargie’s favorite. She also purchased a loaf of homemade bread that is to die-for good. We both had a couple of pieces toasted yesterday and admitted to each other we could have eaten the entire loaf.

Sargie’s sisters, Holly and Jeanne, and brother-in-law, Ross, Holly’s husband, stopped by to see us last night. They were on their way to Iron Mountain. It was nice to see them and they were the first of Sargie’s family to officially visit. Naturally, Sarge had the place looking beautiful.

There aren’t a lot of plans today other than to coach the Packers from my recliner. Since the morning is looking so good, I might go for my walk before the day gets too far along then head out to the barn and work on my traps for a couple of hours.

I think my good friends, Markus and Lynette and their little girl, Brie, might visit this coming weekend. They live down in northern Indiana and have talked about coming for sometime now. One of my former students in Sitka, Markus now teaches in an alternative school and says he likes it a great deal. It will be wonderful to see them.  I grew really close to the kids two years ago in Sitka. I was a frequent guest in their home and saw them a lot on the boat when I took them fishing.



There’s just not a lot of news to share today. So with that, I think I’ll say…

And so are the tales from Pentoga…

I've noticed several truckloads of cabbage leaves going down the road. Sargie says the leaves are deer bait and bound for hunting camps and grounds in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...