Monday, October 8, 2012



October 8, 2012 – Monday
21 degrees
Pentoga Road

I awakened a bit after 4 this morning and rose up on one elbow long enough to look at the large white numbers on the clock. I remember thinking how cold the bedroom was and maybe, I would snuggle with Sargie for a few more minutes before getting up for the day. What I didn’t realize was the Sandman must have been hiding under my pillow waiting to complete his rounds. It was another hour and a half before my feet hit the floor.

After writing Sunday morning, I headed out the door and walked my five miles. It was beautiful and the trees that still had leaves were beautiful.


Sargie was making stuffed zucchini when I arrived home. Coming in from the cold, the aroma in the house smelled wonderfully delicious… like the perfect combination of mushrooms, spices, tomato sauce, and hamburger.


I settled in for an afternoon of Green Bay Packers football. Whew, it was ugly. The boys in green and gold played like a team that has been really good in the past and have earned the right to be lazy. Oh well, the Packers are champions and will make the necessary adjustments. They’d better or I’ll have to go down to Green Bay and open a can of hurt on my boys.


Sheri stopped out to get some corn stalks for decoration. As always, we enjoyed her company and I included a couple more pumpkins for her niece and nephew and some gourds.

Later, Sargie and I enjoyed a Sunday afternoon drive. We discovered another lake which to explore next spring and ended up ten miles north of Crystal Falls in Amasa. Had Sargie not worked so hard preparing the stuffed zucchini for supper, we’d have stopped at the Rusty Saw Blade for pasties. It’s one of my favorite places to graze.

The old train depot in Amasa, Michigan
Last night was quiet and lazy, the way a wonderful weekend should end.

Turkeys anyone?
Sargie works early today saving the eyes of America. I’m planning on being in the barn working on traps, getting ready for the season opener of coyotes, fox, and raccoon, a week from today. Muskrat and mink don’t open until the 25th and there are mink and weasel boxes to make between now and then.

There’re more saplings to cut and chip and three dead maples to fell and work up before snow falls. As I keep saying, a man’s work is never done.

And so are the tales from Pentoga Road…

Sargie counted 17 deer in this particular herd

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...