Tuesday, October 2, 2012




October 2, 2012 – Tuesday morning
38 degrees
Pentoga Road

I’m a bit slow getting around this morning. I’m not really sure why other than I awakened at four AM and was going to get up. Sargie said she was cold, so I lay back down snuggling beside her. The next thing I knew, it was past seven.

I knew I was being watched as I hiked on Monday. This gal was only about ten feet from me. She never did move.
Monday was a busy one. I went fishing for a couple of hours with three small bluegills to show for my effort. I’m certain had I wanted to stay on the water longer, I’d have caught enough to make a meal, but there were other things I wanted to accomplish. As usual the leaves and beauty more than justified the time spent.


I was home by eleven and putting fuel/oil in the chain saw. I’m clearing one corner of the yard, the one alongside the big trail going to the back. It’s always been so brushy and difficult to see any wildlife that are passing through. Being so close to the house and back yard, I want to be able to enjoy it.


It was a chore cutting and chipping the spruce branches. The butt ends chip fine, but the bushy ones tend to get caught in the chute. It took a while, but in the end, everything was made into mulch. I applied one wagon full to the strawberries. The other two are in the orchard and will be spread around the blueberry bushes and fruit trees.


It’s been almost a month since I’ve hiked. Now that I’m re-retired, it’s been my desire to get back into the daily routine. The usual 5.35-mile route was traced yesterday without too much difficulty. At first, I felt as though I had weights on my ankles, but after the first half-mile or so, the endorphins kicked in and I was on my way.


The last activity of the day was sweeping or vacuuming all the floors downstairs. With the moving that’s been occurring, it seems as though there is always dirt or dust being brought in.

It looks like the skunk and raccoon get along just fine.
A feral cat or a fisher? 
Sargie arrived home fairly early last night and we enjoyed a meal of leftover Southern style ribs, baked potatoes, and a salad. The evening was spent watching TV and relaxing.

I must have been tired. The last thing I remember is being snuggled next to Sargie in the big recliner watching television. My next recollection is early this morning, ready to get up for the day. You don’t think she threw me over her shoulder and carried me upstairs, do you? These Yooper girls are known for being made of the “right stuff.”

Sargie’s off today and we’re heading back to Vulcan to try to clean up a few loose ends in moving. It seems that when we think we’re completely finished, we find something else stuck away in a corner, a closet, etc. I’m discovering that moving is a process. Thankfully, we’re not under a timeline, it’s simply something we’d like to get finished as soon as possible before the weather gets bad.

Many of the pumpkins will be loaded today and delivered to the good little nieces and nephews in plenty of time for Halloween. (And Uncle Tom will be happy to get them out of his barn!)
I think I’ll go for my walk hike this morning and get that out of the way for the day. It’s sunny and cool… perfect.

So are the tales of Pentoga Road…

Another view of Pentoga Road. That's our white mailbox further down on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...