Monday, September 28, 2020

Water Water Everywhere

September 28, 2020 - Monday morning
56 degrees/cloudy/calm winds
Pentoga Road

I don't believe it will ever quit raining. In fact, I predict all this rain will turn to snow in another month and our yearly total will be measured in yards rather than inches or feet. 

I sincerely hope that's an exaggeration and we did have a week of Indian Summer not that long ago, but it seems when it rains, IT RAINS. The 2.1 inches that fell the night before last has the water table remaining well on top of the ground. That puddle in front of the garden has been there for six weeks. I'm thinking that we may have to plant some sort of aquatic grass (for real) in that area next spring.

Saturday night's severe storm also brought down a small popple that's lying across the lower road.
The parade of storms marching through are causing the leaves to fall as quickly as the accompanying rain. It happens every year, but with this past summer passing so quickly, we hoped the colors might have stayed around for an extended period. It's not happening.


I enjoyed my walk early Sunday morning. It's evident the trees are growing increasingly bare by the day.


Still, when viewed from a distance, there's still plenty of color to enjoy.



I worked for much of the day in the shop, trying to finish the pumpkin and raven that's been lying on the work table for the past six weeks.

Finished with sawing and shaping, I was able to begin painting. Sargie assisted me in trying to decide what color a pumpkin's lips should be. So far, they've changed colors several times.



Tired of playing with a pumpkin, I turned my attentions to the ongoing Lord's Prayer and finished yet another line.


Sargie worked some more kitchen magic last evening and fixed a great supper that included fresh garden vegetables, zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms, all sauteed in butter that included her own secret herbs and spices. They were delicious. A side of healthy and nutritious Yooper bratwursts delicately grilled outside made the perfect meal.


 Assuming it doesn't begin to rain... again... I'm heading out the door for my daily walk. I'd like to begin clearing the dead and dying vegetation from the garden, but with more rain forecast, that's somewhat "iffy" at best. Otherwise, I'll be in the shop finishing the pumpkin, working on the Lord's Prayer, chasing Sargie Pants around the house, and beginning yet a new project.

After all, a man's work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road...

Ivy and Daddy went partridge hunting early Saturday morning in the big woods of Maine. Andy said they limited out within the first hour. I'm so proud of my sons. When they were young and growing up, it seemed every time I went hunting or fishing, I had one or all with me. A single father, Andy takes Ivy fishing, hunting, four wheeling, just about anywhere he goes. Luke, Josh, and Matt do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...