Wednesday, January 30, 2013


The roads were covered with glare ice Tuesday morning
January 30, 2013 – Wednesday
23 degrees/overcast/breezy
Pentoga Road

It appears as if we’re emerging from icy, wet, conditions into those that promise to be frigid, snowy, and windy. So much for our one-day preview of spring.

I awakened Tuesday morning to the sound of rain pounding on the roof. Neighbor Mike called around sunrise begging off going ice fishing. I told him I thought he was wise and I felt the same. What could be more miserable than sitting out on the ice, slush up to one’s ankles, getting soaked by pouring, freezing, rain.


With that settled, I changed into lighter clothes and accompanied Sargie for a mile up the road on her way to work. With icy conditions, I wanted to see first-hand the conditions she would be driving in. As it turned out, it wasn’t so bad and the road crews had laid down sand and chemicals in many places.

I walked home, settled down with a cup of coffee, and read and graded papers all morning.

I received a call from my second son, Luke, the firefighter. He told me he’d ranked in the top five in his district when taking his lieutenant’s test recently and will be interviewing in front of various administrators in the South Portland, Maine, for promotion. I’m sure proud of that boy… but then I’m proud of all four of my sons and their accomplishments. It’s the best part of being a parent!

The rain stopped falling shortly after lunchtime and with a temperature of 34 degrees, I decided it was time to go fishing. Hopping on the four-wheeler, I chugged up the road and after driving out onto the lake, tried to turn around and park the ATV at the boat ramp. Even driving in my old tracks, the slush was coming up to the belly of the machine and at one point, it became stuck. Thankfully, it’s an ATV. I got off, pushed a bit, then hurriedly hopped back on. In the end, I parked at the boat ramp and walked out to my fishing hole pulling the sled and Clam.


Fishing was good! I brought home seventeen, mostly good sized crappies.

I fished until almost dark (5 PM) and hated to quit while they were still hitting, but basically blind after the sun sets, I figured I better get back home. By the time I cleaned the fish, the kitchen counters and sink, and took a shower, Sargie was due home.


Last night was quiet. I read more assignments, we watched a bit of television, and were in bed early.

Sargie has a long day ahead and has to close tonight. I’ve received all my W2’s for filing my taxes and think I’ll plug a few numbers into the H&R Block calculator and decide if I should have someone else do my taxes or I’m comfortable letting the computer figure it all out. Last year, I used the H&R Block free software and it worked out well. This year, with retirement, moving, IRA’s, etc, I may have to have to hire a tax person.

A large pile of snow fell from the roof, hitting the flagpole and breaking the bracket that holds our American flag onto the porch railing. I think I’ll try to make a new bracket today. I have thought and re-thought the process and am going to try. Otherwise, it appears one has to purchase an entire American flag kit complete with the pole, flag, and bracket.

There’s a load or two of laundry to be done, wood to be carried in, and of course, papers to read and grade. After all, a man’s work is never done.

So are the tales from Pentoga Road…

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 27, 2021 – Wednesday afternoon Iron River Hospital So I've been lying here in bed thinking... just thinking. Other than cough a...